Saturday, September 5, 2009

Where are Those Willing to Protest Today's Wrongs?

by Jack Reeves | From the Athens Banner-Herald (Monday, April 9, 2007)

We marched, we protested, we confronted authority against injustice and poverty. We were angry and brazen. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Cesar Chavez and Ralph McGill inspired us; Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary united us. We sang from our souls, songs like, "If I Had a Hammer," "Blowing in the Wind" and "We Shall Overcome."

We were committed to turning this country upside down. And we did, challenging and reversing some of America's un-American social values.

We protested the insane Vietnam War. I told my draft board what I thought. But I was being an American, standing up, even against fear, for what I believed profoundly.

Where are our children? Where are those to protest this time's wrongs? Where are you?

No comments: