Stock Prices for the Health Insurance Industry Have Shot Through the Roofby Dee Newman
The Senate's version of health insurance reform is obviously being seen by investors as a massive public subsidy for the insurance industry and individual companies. Every since Senator Lieberman announced on October 27 that he would filibuster any Senate health insurance reform bill that included a public option, stock prices for the industry have shot through the roof.
The following is a brief breakdown of major health insurance company stock performance from Oct. 27 to Friday's market close:
* Coventry Health Care, Inc. is up 31.6 percent;
* CIGNA Corp. is up 29.1 percent;
* Aetna Inc. is up 27.1 percent;
* WellPoint, Inc. is up 26.6 percent;
* UnitedHealth Group Inc. is up 20.5 percent;
* And Humana Inc. is up 13.6 percent.
Source: Google Finance
The Health Insurance Industry has already begun to claim victory. The pay off for Republicans and conservative Democrats, Lieberman and Nelson, from the industry will be enormous.