Monday, September 20, 2010

Race, Work, Fun, and Food

by Dee Newman

I just returned from Philadelphia by way of Baltimore. Phil Fratesi and I were there to coordinate the water stations for the ING Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon.

Matthew Kisorio from Kenya jumped out to an early lead and defeated arguably the most competitive half marathon field ever assembled on American soil. He crossed the finish line with an event record time of 1 hour and 15 seconds, a personal best.

Defending champion and pre-race favorite Ryan Hall, who won the race last year in 1:01:52, finished thirteenth overall in 1:03:55. Hall, who finished fourth in April at the Boston Marathon and who won the U.S. 7-Mile Championship earlier this summer, was admittedly disappointed by his performance.

For the women, Meserat Defar from Ethiopia, the two-time Olympic medalist and world-record holder at 5000 meters, finished first in a record time of 1 hour, 7 minutes and 44 seconds. Though it was her debut half marathon, she prove to all she is the fastest female.

Although we were their to work, I must admit, one of the reasons I love to go to Philadelphia is for the food and I am not talking about Philly Cheesesteaks. The City of Brotherly Love has some of the best vegan restaurants in the country.

Last Thursday Phil and I had dinner once again at the Horizons, a vegan gourmet restaurant just off South Street in Philadelphia. For starters I had the Truffled Cauliflower Rositto. For my entrée I had the Fresh Hearts of Palm "Melt" with green chile creamed corn, red chile remoulad, and summer bean salad. Both were melt in your mouth unbelievably delicious.

For Dessert we both had the Southern Belle – roasted peaches, vanilla-bourbon soy ice cream, and crunchy pecans. Yummy, yummy, yummy!!!!!

2 comments:

Stickup Artist said...

I'm from Philly so I know what and where they are talking about. Not the specific restaurant, but South Street, sure!

If you can turn Philly into a viable vegan town, well then, all hope is not lost!

mythopolis said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, and a delicious dinner!