Friday, January 31, 2014

My Old Boot Camp Buddy


In October 1964 I joined the United States Navy. Upon taking the Oath of Enlistment in Nashville, Tennessee:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
I was flown to San Diego, California, to begin three months of Boot Camp at the Naval Training Center there.

Unfortunately, the person with whom I developed the closest bond during that intense experience I lost contact with once we left Boot Camp. Off and on over the last 49 years I have tried unsuccessfully to locate him.

As some of you know I have been researching and writing my memoir, a chapter at a time. After my sister died I have had more time to spend on the project. Recently, I was rummaging through a box of old letters that I found stored in my sister’s basement and came upon a couple of letters written to me back in 1964-65 from a girlfriend of his.

So, I Googled her. To make a long story short, I found her. As it turns out, she is his x-wife. Several days ago, she contacted him for me. My plan is to talk with him by phone this weekend.

2 comments:

mythopolis said...

That's awesome! I have one buddy who goes all the way back to 5th grade! Over the years we have lost touch with one another for as much as a decade only to somehow relocate each other. And now we are pals on Facebook!!! I look forward to hearing how your conversation goes with your ol' pal, and hope he is well!!

Stickup Artist said...

That is so cool. I hope he is thriving and I'm sure he will love hearing all about your interesting life as well. Keep us posted!!